Starting yesterday, 31st october 2010, finally Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 get the precious long waited Android 2.1 update. This happen will consider as promise come true since its delayed several times due to some bugs. As we know earlier, the Xperia X10 update will include also X10 Mini, X10 Mini Pro handsets, the update itself will begin receiving the Android Eclair update yesterday. But the update still only available for certain region like in Nordic countries, while for European countries will get the Eclair starting today on November 01, 2010. Then after that, North America will get their chance by the end of November.
The update will come over the air, OTA, but hopefully we could update manually to Eclair for Xperia X10 because long awaiting -again and again- to get the update arrive at the end of November. If we could do manual update, so we could download the Eclair update then apply to Xperia X10 handset family.
The Xperia X10 has great hardware with its 4 inch screen, a 1Ghz processor and 8 Megapixel camera, enough to classify the X10 as the super phone but very sad for the update. When other vendor rally to use the latest Android version, Sony Ericsson just steady with old fashion Android, Android 1.6 Donut, then release update only to Eclair Android 2.1.
So, what we got from Eclair update on Xperia X10 hadset family, here we go the benefit of update.
• HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
• Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
• New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
• 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
• Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online
• Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
• New backup and restore application with extended content back up
• Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
• Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
• Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1
It will be interesting to see if sales of the device increase once the update rolls around. The addition of 720p HD video recording with continuous autofocus, five home screens, and a backup-and-restore application make the X10 highly appealing.
The X10 Mini and X10 Mini Pro feature completely different hardware, so their respective updates won’t be quite the same. Both devices can look forward to better performance with Bluetooth, an optimized way to handle pictures, text, and numbers, and automatic sync between the contact pictures and Facebook. The backup-and restore-application found with the X10 will also be included.
If you have an X10 series handset, your phone should automatically notify you of the update once it’s available. Users will be reminded to back up their data and directed to download PC Companion software.