Finally Sony releases an official Android ICS for Xperia phones and we would like share how to install Android 4.0 ICS on Sony Xperia PLAY. But this is not stable version because Android ICS for Xperia Play still in Beta version. Sony asks developers and volunteers to test as well as to gather feedback from those that try the Android ICS beta on their phones. It happens since the beta is only recommended to be flashed by advanced users.
The official Android ICS beta version for Xperia Play needs an unlock boot loader which will unfortunately prevent your Xperia Play phone from updating to the official Android ICS update whenever it gets released. Since the Android ICS is beta version, there ROM comes without WiFi and support for Google services such as Google PlayStore, Gmail, etc, as those are still undergoing development to get the certification.
However if you are brave enough to try out the Android 4.0 ICS on your Xperia Play, let’s start to download the ICS ROM than install to your phone by following instruction below;
Download and install Android ICS to Xperia Play
- Ensure your phone is running the latest software release, which is build number 4.0.2.A.0.42. If you can’t upgrade to this build number, it is not possible to try the Ice Cream Sandwich beta ROM for Xperia™ phones.
- Unlock your phone boot loader, get the unlock boot loader from download link. Please read through and agree to all the legal and warranty conditions that apply.
- Download the Ice Cream Sandwich beta ROM for Xperia™ PLAY from download link
- Extract the downloaded zip file to your Android Fastboot directory. For example: ..android-sdkfastbootXperia_PLAY_ICS_beta.
- Open a command prompt and go to your Fastboot directory: ..android-sdkfastboot
- Flash the three beta ROM files one at a time using Fastboot. Use these three commands:
– fastboot flash boot ..FastbootXperia_PLAY_ICS_betaboot.img
– fastboot flash userdata ..FastbootXperia_PLAY_ICS_betauserdata.img
– fastboot flash system ..FastbootXperia_PLAY_ICS_betasystem.img
It is done; now please reboot your phone to enjoy Android 4.0 ICS on your Xperia PLAY. Since this is still in beta version, we recommend all of you to visit the original development page. It is important because hopefully you will get the latest update with stable version once you want to install Android 4.0 ICS on Sony Xperia PLAY.