The great news suddenly coming today, especially for the Xperia X10 owner since the phone is planning to upgrade to Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Absolutely this is the news which will bring back the Xperia X10 passion to look back the X10 after focusing on others Android phone. This is valid information since the announcement of great news is coming from the blog’s Sony Ericsson company.
As previous posting regarding X10 upgradable to Android 2.3, where the Android Gingerbread runs on an emulator for Gingerbread that shows people what they can expect from the latest release. This is SDK Dump, slow and without any hardware support. Even the Android 2.3 Gingerbread has minimum hardware specifications, hopefully there are few barriers that should stop X10 owners seeing at least a custom Gingerbread ROM at some point down the line. And now, the dream come true, X10 should takes back their position as the leading Android high-end phone.
The Android 2.3 Gingerbread will bring better performance and a new user interface. The final scope of the software is still a work in progress, according to Sony Ericsson. But the upgrade will also mean that some functionality will disappear. For example, the camera will get the standard user interface, rather than retain Sony Ericsson’s own, and features like face recognition and smile shutter will be lost, it said.
- The current plan is that the XperiaTM X10 will get the Android standard Camera user interface and therefore features like e.g. face recognition, smile shutter etc will be lost.
- Moxier is replaced by the gingerbread native EAS functionality.
- Mediascape is being replaced by the media experience widgets and music player included in our new 2011 products.
- DRM keys for protected content on your phone will be lost in the upgrade process.
- The Sony Ericsson Backup and Restore client is not supported in the Gingerbread version and will therefore be lost.
- Support for bi-directional languages will be reduced compared to the latest version of the 2.1 version of the XperiaTM X10.
To remember the phone, the Xperia X10 is Sony Ericsson’s first Android-based smartphone and started shipping about a year ago. It comes with a 4-inch screen and an 8-megapixel camera. It has already get the popularity and claimed as the high-end Android phone. But it goes down after no upgrade news for the X10 and others Android phone come with the latest Android version Operating system.
But sad to say because the family of X10 like X10 mini, mini pro and Xperia X8 will not go further unless in Android 2.1 Eclair. But I beleive, one of Android developer will bring the Android 2.3 come to X10 mini, X10 mini pro but unsure for X8. Like the blog post said, Sony Ericsson has had to prioritize resources and decided to focus on upgrading the Xperia X10.